19/04/2013

Raise an eyebrow


I vividly remember the first time I attempted to sculpt my eyebrows. I was about thirteen, and I'd swiped my mum's tweezers out of her make up bag. After numbing my brows with ice cubes (a tip from whichever rubbish teen magazine I was addicted to at the time) I started plucking. Five minutes later and with tears streaming down my cheeks I gave up, having made no progress in my journey for perfect brows. But instead of doing the sensible thing and leaving it until a time when my face could withstand more pain, I decided to cheat. Grabbing a disposable razor from the bathroom cupboard, I once again braced myself in front of the mirror. With the aim of artfully shaping my brows, I took the first swipe...taking off half of my eyebrow in the process. 

Even with precise fringe sweeping my shameful secret was soon revealed at school, much to the amusement of my friends. I vowed never to touch my brows again, a promise that I didn't quite stick to but I haven't brought a razor within an inch of my face since. 

Until recently, thick brows were strictly reserved for scouse women and Susan Boyle. But then a certain aristocratic supermodel popped into social consciousness. Sporting a thick, full brow, Cara Delevingne has made bushy brows the new style de jour. So much so that fashion-conscious women are going under the surgeon's scalpel to mimic her trendy look, which has also been spotted on actress Keira Knightley.

Taking a strip of hair from the back of the head, surgeons transplant individual hair follicles into the eyebrows using a fine needle. The procedure takes place under local anaesthetic and costs around £3,000, PER EYEBROW!!!

I think I'll be sticking with the pencil for now thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?