04/09/2011

It's A Beijing Thing


So it's been a while since I've really thought about my impending trip to China at the beginning of next year. Although I am HUGELY excited about it, it's still not really sunk in yet. Maybe once I part with the remaining £798 it might become a bit more of a reality... Having only been on a plane once (making the not-so-lengthy journey to the exotic destination of Spain) it's going to be a bit of a shock to the system being in the air for nearly 12 hours. My sympathies go out to my friends and travel companions, who will have to put up with me jumping around like a five year old in the airport and oohing and aahing out of the window every ten minutes. If they're considering getting a nice little nap in on the plane, they can think again ;)

Anyway, I hadn't really given it much thought until I was reading this month's issue of Marie Claire. I was flicking through when I got to the 'Fashion Cities' feature. There were the usual suspects, London, New York and Milan, and then I came across a page which filled me with excitement. 

'China's Fashion Revolution. Walk down the street in Beijing and you'll more Pradas per paving stone than anywhere else in the world. Welcome to Fashion's newest capital.'

Of course, it's hard to have the mildest interest in fashion and not be aware that the East has always had a prominent influence on runways and designers across the globe. But it's usually Japan that is spreading its quirky and original concepts overseas, from the first designers bringing their innovative clothing to Paris in the late 80's, to the Harajuku girls of the streets of Tokyo becoming style icons and Gwen Stefani's new best friends. Now, China is pushing forward into the consciousness of the fashion world. Having had a little peek on Lookbook, it's clear to see why this is the case:



I'd better get saving for my spending money now...

Seoana xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?