16/06/2011

Summer Rain

My (future) home. Of course I'll also have a city pad, the cottage will be for weekends ;)

Even though the skies were overcast and the air was chilly, and Rayleigh was shrouded in a fine misty rain that managed to not be wet yet entirely soak you at the same time, ('mizzle' is how I once heard it defined), I couldn't have been happier to be home.

Not that I despise good ol' Southampton, but with the majority of my friends long retreated to their native homelands and having already tired of doing a Kevin McCallister in the lonesome Cromwell house, a trip home was definitely in order. 

Classic. He looks so much like a chimp.

So after a long day at work, (which although wasn't too terrible did appear to exist in another dimension for a while, where time travelled at about one thousandth of the rate on Earth), I grabbed my little suitcase and hot-footed it to the station, Essex bound.

And so begins a glorious 4 days of binging (moi, stuffing my face? Unheard of!), some well-deserved relaxation, and catching up with le friends et le fam. I'm away from home for months at a time, and as soon as I step through the door I can feel myself physically relax, this is the place where the responsibilities aren't on me, I can be a 'kid' once again. Although things change (i.e. a new bed and the marquee addition to our conservatory - photographic evidence will be provided at a later date) everything is familiar and that in itself is ridiculously comforting. The sound of Nelson barking (soon to be two doggies, eeeeee!) is the sweetest sound to my ears, and having once despised any contact with my parents during the whole rebellious teenage phase (which I definitely milked for a lot longer than necessary) it feels bloody lovely to have someone fussing over me. I'd like to say I don't take it for granted but I definitely become the laziest, most spoilt brat after about two minutes of stepping through the door. Goodbye independent young woman, hello totally-incapable-of-doing-anything-for-herself little girl!

I've got some work that needs to be done this weekend, and I also received some v. exciting news today about some writing opportunities coming my way... gonna keep it on the DL for now until I get all the deets but it's a step in the right direction career-wise! 
P.S. Was some crazy shit meant to happen with the moon tonight? Like another eclipse?? I blame the cloud for my obliviousness to this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?